In July I was asked to review the FitChef meals and I have been inundated by questions from you all asking how we found it and if I would recommend it! Justin and I were very kindly sent the 21 day couples challenge to try, and here are our thoughts:
It is safe to say that the order process and delivery as well as packaging of the FitChef meals impressed me from the minute the delivery man arrived with 4 (rather large) boxes, chilled and sealed.
Opening the boxes was one of the most exciting unboxes I have done this year, and I couldn’t stop grinning from ear-to-ear at the thought of not having to meal-plan, prep or cook for Justin and I for at least 21 days! Bliss!
The boxes were brimful of healthy & nutritious meals, juices and snacks, and I was most impressed with the packaging of each of the lunch & dinner meals. Not only do they hold all nutritional and cooking information, but they are designed in such a way that it makes it easy to see what they meals are in the freezer without having to pull them out like most frozen meals, as they have the name on both the top and ‘spine’ of the meal pack. Loved that!
Pre-Meal Plan thoughts:
Once the meals were all securely stored in both our kitchen and garage freezers we were ready to start our challenge. If I am honest we were fairly nervous. “Healthy” & frozen didn’t sound like it was going to be the most enjoyable experience, and Justin and I are both big foodies!
FitChef only use nature’s goodness in their meals. You won’t find man-made chemicals, preservatives, colourants, additives or other highly refined ingredients. They don’t add gluten flours or starchy thickeners to the meals either. Most importantly, they don’t add sugars, whether artificial or concentrated or refined salt. They claim to have sourced meat from grass-fed/free range farms and that are free of routine antibiotics and growth hormones.
Justin and I do follow a healthy eating routine as it is, but with our kiddies eating with us we found we often resorted to easy, family-friendly means like carb-heavy pasta and/or mash and crumbed schnitzels etc.
Eating the FitChef meals with no added sugar, no starch based sauces and “obsessed with Whole Foods”, showed me that eating clean and healthy benefitted me in the following ways:
I absolutely LOVED the fact that dinner prep for the two of us was as easy and pulling a meal from the freezer and thawing it out, popping it into a pre-heated oven for 20mins and voila! Dinner is served! It took a massive weight off my shoulders for the period.
I felt I had more energy. I’m not sure if it was from the reduction in the carbs, or elimination of artificial sugars and preservatives from my diet, but I definitely felt like I had more energy in a day.
I lost some weight I was struggling to lose around my belly. Since having Brooke I’ve had a pouch around my tummy that just won’t budge (heck, I still have some) !! But I noticed a definite slimming of my tummy, and very honestly it’s looking the best it has in years.
All-in-all I highly recommend FitChef meals and packages for anyone (man or woman) looking to be intentional about eating healthy, wholesome meals that take the time & effort out of shopping, chopping & cooking, and show real results!
The meals were, as a whole, enjoyable as far and healthy & pre-frozen meals go. There were a few we didn’t enjoy at all (like the bobotie), but 9/10 meals we enjoyed and felt very satisfied. I’ll certainly be re-ordering from FitChef to keep healthy options in our freezer for days when I’m not sure what’s for dinner and as back ups. Our favorites including the whole-wheat pesto pastas, bacon-wrapped boerewors and the chicken and veggies. We did add fresh salad as a some to some of the meals to add some variety.
I also absolutely loved having the juices and smoothies in the fridge as a “meal on the go”!
Meal plan we tried:
21 Day – Couples – BEST RESULTS Challenge (2 People)
Meals – (74)
- 6 x Boerewors Breedie with Sweet Potato Mash & Green Beans
- 4 x Homestyle Cautage Pie with Carrots & Peas
- 4 x Sweet Chilli Chicken with Mushroom and Spinach Saute
- 4 x Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir-Fry with Brown Basmati Rice
- 4 x Grandma Mince Curry with Brown Basmati Rice
- 2 x Hake Napolitana with stir-fry veg
- 2 x Fillet Steak with Roast Potatoes and Stir Fry Vegetables
- 4 x Chicken Pesto with Wholewheat Penne Pasta
- 4 x Beef Con Carne with Quinoa
- 6 x Ostrich Potjie with Mixed Vegetables
- 4 x Beef Goulash with Pumpkin & Spinach
- 4 x Spanish Chicken and Quinoa
- 4 x Bacon Wrapped Boerewors
- 6 x Luxury Swiss Muesli 100g
- 6 x Chargrilled Lemon Chicken
- 4 x Chicken Hotpot with Quinoa and Mixed Vegetables
- 6 x Farmstyle Bobotie with Carrots, Peas and Yellow Rice
Drinks – (72)
- 40 x Fruity Green Smoothie (FGS) Spinach, Apple, Pear & Banana
- 4 x Fruitropic – Limited Edition Guest Smoothie
- 6 x Whole Juice Refresher – 300ml (contains honey)
- 6 x Meal on the Go – 300ml
- 4 x COBA – Carrot, Orange, Butternut & Apple
- 4 x GAP – Grape, Apple, Beetroot, Banana & Pear
- 8 x PB3 – Peanut Butter Blueberry Banana
Snacks – (8)
- 4 x Chocolate Ice Cream – 125ml (contains egg+dairy)
- 2 x FitChef Famous Beetroot Brownie (contains Butter & Eggs)
- 2 x Biltong – Sliced Beef (grassfed) – 40g
Veggie Meals – (26)
- 2 x Vegetarian – Tikka Roasted Vegetables with Butternut (contains Cream)
- 4 x Lentil Bobotie, Carrots, Peas & Yellow Rice
- 2 x Vegetarian – Lentil Tomato Breedie & Sweet Potato Mash
- 2 x Vegetarian – Chickpea Potjie with Mixed Vegetables
- 8 x Vegetarian – Luxury Rolled Oats with Cranberries, Cashew, & Apple Cinnamon (contains Honey)
- 2 x Vegetarian – Pesto Vegetable Wholewheat Penne Pasta
- 4 x Vegetarian – Red Kidney Bean Goulash with Pumpkin & Spinach
- 2 x Vegetarian – Spanish Red Kidney Bean With Quinoa
Other – (2)
- 2 x Vegetarian – Toasted Wheat Flakes 500g (5 servings)
See more HERE
Thank you FitChef for sponsoring these meals for us to try and enjoy. #sponsored
This post was a result of a trade exchange with the brand. All feelings expressed above are 100% my own and not influenced in any way.